Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Contributing Factors to Cancer: Part 1 (Toxins)

I've been thinking about doing a post on all the (known so far) contributing factors of cancer in general -- and breast cancer, specifically -- and it looks like today's the day. Ready? Here we go.

Toxins:  (hoo-boy, this is a big subject! Where to start? . . .)
Okay, let's start externally and work our way in. 
These are largely beyond a person's control:
  • Satellite signals (to and from, as well as ricocheting off Earth's surface) from 1,071 satellites now orbiting our fair planet  (boggles the mind, doesn't it?)
  • Radio, television and cell phone signals (not just our own, but everybody else's, too)
  • Wireless everything (modems, routers, keyboards, telephones, printers -- even the watch you're wearing)
  • Electrical everything. That's right; if it plugs in, it's emitting electromagnetic radiation.
  • Can you imagine how thick the air would be from all these signals if we could see them?
  • Vehicle exhaust (other people's, of course; your own car doesn't pollute, right?)
  • Formaldehyde fumes from carpet, furniture, new fabrics, even toys
  • Chemicals in plastic (which is absolutely everywhere, even lining paper plates and tin cans and leaching into our food) 
  • Chemical air fresheners and scented candles 
  • Radiation from microwave ovens, CT scans, mammograms, airport security . . .
  • Okay, this last one is pretty much controllable, especially if you never fly.
Then there are the toxins we take in through our skin. Ever thought about that? Our skin is actually considered to be an organ. In some circles, it's called the "Third Lung".
These are largely within our control:
  • Chemicals in shampoo, conditioner, body wash, antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, hair styling products, hair dyes, skin care, makeup, toothpaste, mouthwash, lotion, sunscreen, perfume/cologne, nail polish, nail polish remover, laundry detergent, fabric softener . . . (Stop and count how many of these you use; I'll wait.)
  • Anti-perspirants (This one gets its very own bullet point because it's so moronic.) Remember when folks used to be happy with taking a bath once a week? (Okay, maybe you don't remember it, but it actually happened, I promise.) Then we used to be happy with deodorant, which masked the scent of body odor. Then some brilliant scientist said, "Hey, let's clog the pores so we don't sweat at all! That'll take care of the smell for a whole day!" And we've been slathering on chemicals -- right over a bunch of lymph glands -- ever since. Does this sound incredibly dim to anybody else?
  • Flu shots and other immunizations (Holy cow! Do you realize how many of these things we're injecting our babies with at a time when their little immune systems are still developing? 49 doses to protect against sixteen diseases. Forty-nine!) (here's the link to the CDC's recommendations)
  • Second-hand smoke
  • Household cleaners
  • The water we shower in. Depending on your location, it's probably a cocktail of chemicals. If you want to have nightmares, take a look at this list provided by the EPA. What a price to pay for "clean" water.
Okay, now let's talk about the toxins we actually ingest.
These are also mostly within our control:
  • Chemicals used to keep pests of all sorts from ruining the crop, aka Pesticides (Just because it kills bugs and weeds doesn't mean it'll hurt humans, right?)
  • Chemicals used to prolong shelf life, aka Preservatives (If we eat enough, will we live forever?)
  • Chemicals to make anemic foods prettier, aka Food Dyes
  • Chemicals to make things pour easier (e.g. salt)
  • Chemicals to keep things from settling out and looking gross, aka Emulsifiers
  • Chemicals to make food taste tastier. (e.g. MSG, aka monosodium glutamate, aka "Natural Flavors") That one cracks me up.
  • Chemicals used in turning food into non-food (Potassium bromate is a biggy; used to oxidize flour so the bread will have those tiny little air pockets and be light and fluffy and *white*. PB blocks the body's absorption of iodine, causing thyroid dysfunction which in turn causes all sorts of problems, not the least of which are hair loss and depression.) 
  • Artifical sweeteners. As if refined sugar weren't bad enough, we now have a whole handful of  "worse" choices -- saccharin (Sweet 'n Low), acesulfame (Sweet One), neotame (NutraSweet), sucralose (Splenda), aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal), and of course HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). It now looks like the the concept of artificial sweeteners being better for us was one big lie. (click here)
  • Alcohol
  • Non-stick coating from cookware
  • BPA's and other chemicals from plastic.
  • Genetically-modified foods. Monsanto has been gentically engineering seeds for fun and profit since 1983 (tobacco was first). And since 1995 when GMO soybeans were introduced, the train has picked up speed. Now -- less than 20 years later -- almost all soybeans and most corn, cotton and canola oil are GMO. Pretty quick work! To quote from a book I just read, "Monsanto creates seeds that produce plants that cannot replicate, forcing the user to buy new seed each year. Through testing performed on mice . . . neutering effects have been observed to end propagation of the species." (Re-mission Through Divine Order by Scot Guariglia, p. 40) Pretty cool, huh? And soy is in practically everything the typical American eats. Do you suppose that has anything to do with the increase in fertility problems and difficulties in carrying babies to full term?
  • Anyway, our bodies don't recognize the genetic makeup of GMO "foods", but we continue to dump them in anyway because we're stupid and lazy and all we care about is fast and tasty.
  • And let's not forget the water we drink. Filtering is inexact because it's hard to remove some of the chemicals that form covalent bonds with water molecules. "Covalent": remember that word from chemistry class a hunnerd years ago?  Let's just say covalent bonds are very hard to unstick. Hence, your normal run-of-the-mill filter systems can't do the job. This means that you're probably still drinking fluoride and some chloramines (not to be confused with chlorine), both of which are very toxic to humans. That's probably a whole other post which I will probably never write because I'm tired of being disgusted.
Um, where were we? Oh, other causes of cancer. (This is going to be really long, isn't it? I'll try to talk faster.)

This brings us to the toxins we create within our own bodies because of the thoughts we think and the emotions we feel. When we are suddenly frightened (the old bear-in-the-woods scenario), our very wise bodies secrete norepinephrine (aka adrenaline) and cortisol to speed up our heart rate, slow down digestion (or in some cases, evacuate it), and send blood to the muscles so we can run!  This is all well and good, but every time we get upset and stew over something of perceived importance, our bodies think they're supposed to act. Problem is, there's no shut-off because the stewing goes on and on and on . . . So our poor bodies are trying to prepare us to run from a bear that actually comes from within. So stewing over the mess our country is in? or the choices your off-spring are making? or the remark somebody made to somebody else that might have been about you? or stewing over finances? or your spouse's philandering? or a loved one's illness? . . . all toxic to your body. 

So . . . we breathe in, eat in, drink in, live in and think in a chemical soup which our bodies do a pretty good job of handling, all things considered. They keep plugging away, filtering and cleaning and defecating out the crud -- with not a word of thanks from us because we're blissfully (read: obstinately) unaware -- but they gradually get farther and farther behind. The liver -- which has to cycle all these toxins twice -- gets overwhelmed and starts shunting them off to be stored and dealt with later . . . in our adipose tissue (read: fat). 

Some of the toxins settle out in our joints (causing arthritis) or intestines (irritable bowel syndrome, Crohns disease) or bone marrow (leukemia) or . . . the list is almost endless. Because toxins are toxic, they cause inflammation, which produces heat. In an effort to cool the system, our bodies manufacture mucus to coat the inflamed areas and contain the toxins. So mucus should be one of the biggest, reddest red flags there is. Coughing up crud? Fibroid cysts in your breasts? Mucus in your stool? All signs that your body is struggling. 

And if you have mucus in one area, it's a sure bet you have it in others areas too, because what affects one part of the body affects all the rest.

So negative! All these toxins coming from every direction . . . sounds pretty hopeless.

Nope, not a bit. 

You see, we have these amazing bodies that God crafted, and He built into them the ability to heal themselves. We just have to quit dumping the toxins into them and give them the chance to clean themselves out.  Many toxins are beyond our control, but the ones that really count -- the ones that make it inside our skin barrier -- are completely within our control. Sure, it's hard -- it takes time and effort -- but it's do-able. You just have to decide . . . do you want to play the whiny victim? . . . or do you want to stand up and take responsibility for your own welfare, your own . . . disease?

20 comments:

  1. Yes, you did a good job of covering these toxins. Shirley, you are an awesome writer and a positive person! I think of you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Tell me who you are and I'll return the favor. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great condensed compilation of hours and hours of studying! Kind of makes me want to quit eating and live in a hole with no antiperspirant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. Just shop for the right food. It tastes better anyway.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Ditto to what Amy said. And since that's not a realistic option, I'll continue to work on changing toxic habits and eliminating toxins in my food and skincare. I have a hundred (or is that hunnerd, I forget ;) ) questions, but I'll start with this one since it's applicable for me today. You mentioned potassium bromate in bread. Is that added in the factory that makes the bread or is it already in the flour I bought at the store? I've been playing around with homemade bread and today's batch turned out really, really good, but I'll be really annoyed if "they" have already tampered with my flour, turning a nice thought - making my own healthy bread - into a "better luck next time."

    Oh, and to Amy, I quit wearing deodorant completely about a week ago and honestly, I see (smell) no difference. Of course, I just ate a bunch of garlic today to ward of a potential cold, so tomorrow you might be able to smell me clear in ND :) I actually sweat less now than I did when I wore antiperspirant, which I quit wearing about 6 months ago. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, PB is a commercial thing, but check the ingredients list on your flour bag to make sure.

      And feel free to ask as many questions as you have. You can bet there are others who have been wanting to ask the same things but can't figure out how. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Kay, you can buy flour that's "unbromated" (or words to that affect; can't remember specifically). It usually says it right on the front since it's a selling factor.

      Delete
  4. So Rancid Crabtree was right (Pat McManus). Taking a bath wears a hole in your protective crust and lets the germs in. Lol. My kids will be glad to hear this. They love taking a bath, just don't like to get washed. Great read. I have slowly been making some changes in our diet. Since I am the main food buyer/preparer my changes affect 6 people. I feel pretty great about the fact that I haven't had a can of condensed soup in the house for months when I used to buy it by the case. Lots of other changes that need to happen. Baby steps:) Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We used to love Pat McManus. Haven't thought about him in a long time.
      Yup, baby steps. Writing about it like this, I'm afraid people will feel overwhelmed and give up before they start, but it's just changing one or two things at a time . . .

      Do you make your own cream soup, or do without?

      Delete
    2. I used to use it a lot in casseroles. Now I make a white sauce kind of thing if I make a casserole but I'm still experimenting with that, too. My cream soup casserole makage was highly correlated with having a newborn in the house and just getting something on the table. Now "fast food" is usually my homemade veggie soup, which turns out different every time depending on what else is around to throw in it. Which reminds me of a question I've been wanting to ask. I start my soup by sautéing an onion and some celery in olive oil. But I understand that the word on olive oil is to only use it raw. So what is the better choice for this purpose? Butter? I switched to olive oil to avoid dairy allergies but that may no longer be an issue... Brenda

      Delete
    3. Olive oil is fine in salad dressings or dipping bread, but it's unstable at higher temperatures and becomes carcinogenic. Saturated fats are much more stable. I like butter or coconut oil. Or bacon grease, if I can get good quality pork.

      Delete
  5. Good information, Shirley! It's great being the benefactors of your hours and hours of study on the subject--educating yourself and us by osmosis. I've quietly been on a good-food-over-quick-and-easy, natural-over-chemical campaign in my own house for quite awhile, using very few chemical cleaners, etc. ~ even making my own laundry soap for several years ~ and I find that much of what you write resonates loudly with me. Keep up the great endeavor and thanks again for so articulately sharing it with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Deena. I've been tempted to make my own laundry soap but wonder if it would be strong enough to get the oils out of my massage sheets. The recipes I've seen tend to make pretty big batches, and I'd feel guilty throwing it out if it didn't work.

      Delete
  6. Mine's simple & cheap ~ 1 C borax, 1 C washing soda, 1 bar Fels Naphtha soap. Mix it all up in the blender or food processor (chunk up the soap a bit first). I do a triple batch to fill the repurposed Folger's coffee container. Don't know how it would do removing oils, but it works good on all the stuff I wash, including Pete's paint & work clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds similar to the recipes I've seen, but they added water and required cooking, and made something like two gallons. I assume you just use yours dry? How much at a time?

      Delete
    2. I've used this recipe and used it dry. I was happy with everything except getting grease stains out. Lance's work pants came out looking the same as they went in. And every once in awhile I would notice a dark spot on an item of clothing and I think it must have been an oily spot that didn't come out. I was using the homemade to save money, not for health purposes at that point. I decided it was better to spend the money on quality soap instead of ruining clothes. I have heard of a liquid recipe that includes Dawn dish soap. I think that would do a better job on the oils but maybe adds chemicals back in that you don't want. I've seen some health scare info on Borax lately, too though I haven't researched it thoroughly enough to make an educated decision. Brenda

      Delete
    3. I haven't switched out my laundry soap yet because getting oil out of my massage sheets is too important. I'll figure it out when it climbs to the top of my list. Thank you both for your input. :-)

      Delete
  7. Wow! What a wealth of research and information! Thanks so much for sharing.

    On the subject of deoderant, have you done any research on Deodorant Crystal? I've been using Naturally Fresh brand roll on for a couple years now and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shirley, I want to refute one thing you wrote: "To quote from a book I just read, "Monsanto creates seeds that produce plants that cannot replicate, forcing the user to buy new seed each year. " It is not that Round up ready seed will not grow/replicate, but it IS illegal. There was a case in the courts Bowman vs. Monsanto :
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/monsanto-gmo-roundup-ready-seeds-patents-food-prices/
    I was rooting for Bowman, a 75 year old man, fighting that huge company, but he did not win. We have grown roundup ready wheat and canola on our farm. I hate the costs and other factors, but that is all too much to go into here.
    I am also rooting for you Shirley in what you are doing and wish you the best! I am open to learning and trying to be healthy, but certainly far behind you. Thanks for all you share here. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Linda. While I am familiar with the case you're talking about, I haven't done a ton of research into GMO technology or Monsanto because those aren't the main focus of what I'm doing. I did a quick search just now, and this is what I found:

      It is true that Monsanto has the biotechnology to create "terminator seeds" (aka "suicide seeds") from their gene-use restriction technology (GURT) -- seeds which are unable to propagate. Monsanto has pledged not to use this technology on food crops, but it is apparently being used in non-food crops as we speak.

      I suspect it is this technology the author was speaking of when he talked about the testing done on rats. He could've differentiated it to avoid the confusion you and I have just had. ;-)

      Thanks for your kindly thoughts, Linda.

      Delete